Apple TV (3rd generation)
Apple A5 chip
Built-in universal 6 W power supply
Apple TV (3rd generation)
Product Brand: Apple
- Affordable compared to newer Apple TV models.
- Features an intuitive and user-friendly interface.
- Supports AirPlay for streaming content from other Apple devices.
- Includes a physical remote control.
- Compatible with a wide range of streaming services and apps.
- Offers access to iTunes content and the ability to rent or buy movies and TV shows.
- Limited video playback resolution, capped at 1080p.
- Limited processing power compared to newer models.
- No support for Siri voice search.
- No Ethernet port for wired internet connection, only supports Wi-Fi.
- Limited gaming capabilities compared to dedicated gaming consoles.
Apple TV (3rd generation) Specifications
The Apple TV (3rd generation) is a streaming media player that was released by Apple in March 2012. It allows users to stream digital content from the internet, as well as from other devices such as iPhones, iPads, and Macs. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the technical specifications and features of the Apple TV (3rd generation).
Here are the technical specifications for the Apple TV (3rd generation):
- Dimensions: 98 mm x 98 mm x 23 mm
- Weight: 270 g
- Processor: Apple A5 chip
- Storage: 8 GB
- Video output: HDMI
- Video resolution: Up to 1080p
- Audio output: Optical audio and HDMI
- Wireless connectivity: Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
- Ethernet: 10/100BASE-T
- Remote: Apple Remote (aluminum)
The Apple TV (3rd generation) comes with a number of features that make it a great option for streaming digital content:
- AirPlay: With AirPlay, you can stream content from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac directly to your TV through the Apple TV.
- iCloud: The Apple TV (3rd generation) is compatible with iCloud, which means that you can access your photos, videos, and other content stored in iCloud directly from the Apple TV.
- Netflix and other apps: The Apple TV (3rd generation) comes with a number of built-in apps, including Netflix, Hulu Plus, and YouTube, as well as the ability to download additional apps from the App Store.
- iTunes: With the Apple TV (3rd generation), you can rent or purchase movies and TV shows directly from the iTunes Store.
Overall, the Apple TV (3rd generation) is a solid streaming media player with good technical specifications and a number of useful features. While it may not have all the bells and whistles of newer models, it remains a viable option for those looking to stream digital content from the internet or from other devices.
Full Technical Specifications
Apple TV Technical Specifications
|Announced||07 March, 2012|
|Released||16 March, 2012|
|Family||Apple TV 3rd generation|
|Processor Type||Single-core Apple A5|
|Level 1 cache memory (L1)||N/A|
|Level 2 cache memory (L2)||N/A|
|Level 3 cache memory (L3)||N/A|
1 GHz Apple A5 (single-core ARM Cortex-A9, dual-core with one core locked)
1 GHz Apple A5 (ARM Cortex-A9, single-core – redesign from A5 dual-core)
Apple A5 (PowerVR SGX543MP2)
Apple A5 (PowerVR SGX543MP1)
|Storage Capacity||512 MB LPDDR2|
|Size and weight||
Height: 0.9 inch (23 mm)
Width: 3.9 inches (98 mm)
Depth: 3.9 inches (98 mm)
Weight: 0.6 pound
|RAM||8 GB NAND flash for cache|
|Power||Built-in 6-watt universal power supply|
|Inside the box||
|Initial operating system||
Apple TV Software 5.0 (based on iOS 5.1)
Apple TV Software 5.2 (based on iOS 6.1)
|Current operating system||Apple TV Software 7.9 (based on iOS 8.4.6)|
Wi-Fi 4 (802.11a/b/g/n) (Broadcom BCM4330, dual-band, 300 Mbit/s)
Bluetooth 4.0 (support for keyboards only)
Built-in IR receiver
Micro-USB (for service and support)
|Video formats supported||
H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 720p, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
|Audio formats supported||HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Apple Lossless, FLAC, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through|
|Photo formats supported||JPEG, BMP, GIF, TIFF, PNG|
|TV compatibility||Compatible with high-definition TVs with HDMI and capable of 1080p or 720p at 60/50Hz,2 including popular models from these manufacturers: Hitachi, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, NEC, Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, Toshiba, Vizio, Westinghouse|
Wi-Fi (802.11a, b, g, or n) wireless network (wireless video streaming requires 802.11a, g, or n) or 10/100BASE-T Ethernet network
iTunes Store account for buying or renting movies and buying TV shows
Netflix account for streaming Netflix content
For streaming media from a Mac or PC: iTunes 10.6 or later; iTunes Store account for Home Sharing
MLB.TV subscription required to watch live and archived games
NBA.com League Pass Broadband subscription required to watch live and archived games
NHL GameCenter Live subscription required to watch live and archived games
We can not guarantee that the information on this page is 101% correct.